Jessica Hansell (aka Coco Solid) is a creative chameleon — she's an artist, musician, writer, director and actor. The creator of animated series Aroha Bridge talks about a variety of topics in this Funny As interview, including:
- Realising the power of comedy to tell important stories — and be a "political weapon"
- How writing and acting in Māori news satire Brown Eye in 2015 "made people realise I wasn't messing around"
- How her Aroha Bridge characters are a "Frankenstein of Māori and multicultural archetypes I see every day"
- The "massive effect" Billy T James had on her, and how his Captain Cook sketches "taught you about the truths of colonisation"
- Rating the acting of childhood friend Madeleine Sami as the "standard that I hold other performers to"
This interview was recorded for 2019 TV series
Funny As: The Story of New Zealand Comedy.
All audiovisual content is copyright to Augusto
, and may not be reproduced. Publication of
extended interviews made possible with funding from the NZ Lotteries Grants Board