Actor Stelios Yiakmis created a name for himself playing doctor Johnny Marinovich for five years on Shortland Street. He gained further acting credentials in a range of Australian and Kiwi TV shows such as McLeod's Daughters, All Saints, and Underbelly – Land of the Long White Cloud, and the Australian feature film Jindabyne.
In this ScreenTalk, Yiakmis talks about:
- Being overawed by his first scene on Shortland Street
- How a fellow actor couldn’t help him adjust to the work schedule
- Loving the polarising nature of his character Johnny Marinovich
- How a role in Street Legal gave him a chance to stretch his acting wings
- Confusing the local population on the set of McLeod's Daughters
- Wanting to punch director Ray Lawrence while filming Jindabyne
- Playing a real life criminal in the Kiwi version of Underbelly
- Relishing the chance to be a 'bastard' in The Blue Rose
- How not knowing the plot in advance made the role harder
This video is available on YouTube to embed and distribute via a Creative Commons licence.
Interview, Camera and Editing – Andrew Whiteside