Roger Gascoigne was at one stage the most famous man on New Zealand television. He began his TV career as a continuity announcer and introduced his infamous wink to the nation. He went on to present a huge range of TV shows in the 70s and 80s including Ready to Roll, Top Town and several Telethons. During the 80s he made the transition to news presenting on regional show Today Tonight.
In this ScreenTalk, Gascoigne talks about:
- Becoming the face of television
- How ‘the wink’ became an institution
- Getting excited about music videos in the early days of Ready to Roll
- Revamping the midnight to dawn slot on Telethon
- Ruining a valuable piece of equipment on Top Town
- Fearing for his life while being mobbed on the show
- Changing the focus of his career by hosting Today Tonight
- Acting a role similar to his real persona in Peppermint Twist
- How the arrival of Holmes led to him leaving television
was first uploaded on 19 November 2012, and
is available under
this Creative Commons licence.
This licence is limited to use of ScreenTalk interview footage only and does not apply to any video content and
photographs from films, television, music videos, web series and commercials used in the interview.
Interview, Camera and Editing – Andrew Whiteside