Musician turned TV producer turned radio presenter Simon Morris pops up among the Funny As interviews mainly to talk about John Clarke — one of the funniest guys Morris has ever met. Among the topics covered:
- How Morris and Clarke first bonded in a cafe at Victoria University
- Clarke's love of the way British comedian Peter Cook combined "low comedy and unbelievably high comedy at the same time...and that was John really"
- Joining Clarke for a badly-reviewed student extravaganza, where Clarke was one of the only stand outs
- How hit TV show Gliding On (on which Morris directed) utilised the classic sitcom formula of a bunch of characters in a single setting, who irritate one another
- Working on the TV pilot for comedy group Funny Business, who arrived "just three years too soon"
For more on John Clarke, check out this extended interview with Clarke's daughter, writer Lorin Clarke.
This interview was recorded for 2019 TV series
Funny As: The Story of New Zealand Comedy.
All audiovisual content is copyright to Augusto
, and may not be reproduced. Publication of
extended interviews made possible with funding from the NZ Lotteries Grants Board