Growing up around stage shows and TV studios, future Billy T award-winner Dai Henwood knew from early on that he wanted to be involved in comedy. In this Funny As interview, the 7 Days veteran discusses several topics, including:
- Going straight from the hospital after being born, to the back of a theatre during a performance of Glide Time — which his father Ray Henwood was acting in (the play later became sitcom Gliding On)
- How doing an extended King Lear monologue is going to lose the crowd, and doing a play inside a coffin
- Doing stand-up comedy in character, as professional wrestler P-Funk Chainsaw and John D'Bankteller
- Feeling like an imposter after not being able to fill venues at the Melbourne Comedy Festival
- How touring rural New Zealand improved his comedy, through realising he could just be himself
- Finding his way as a TV presenter on shows like Insert Video Here, 7 Days and Dancing with the Stars
This interview was recorded for 2019 TV series
Funny As: The Story of New Zealand Comedy.
All audiovisual content is copyright to Augusto, and may not be reproduced. Publication of
extended interviews made possible with funding from the NZ Lotteries Grants Board.