In 1988 comedy group Funny Business managed the jump from stand-up to headlining their own hit TV show. This Funny As interview sees Dean Butler, Willy de Wit, Ian Harcourt and Peter Murphy covering many topics, including:
- "Making it up" as they went along — "We really didn't know what we were doing"
- How their routine involving an airbourne pet toaster once caused $3,500 worth of damage
- Their first gig at Auckland's Windsor Castle turning into a bi-weekly run that lasted for two years
- TVNZ taking a "huge risk" in commissioning the first Funny Business TV series
- Being "blown away" while performing at Canada's Just For Laughs comedy festival in 1990
- What the group's members are doing now, including Willy de Wit's recovery from a 2016 stroke
This interview was recorded for 2019 TV series
Funny As: The Story of New Zealand Comedy.
All audiovisual content is copyright to Augusto
, and may not be reproduced. Publication of
extended interviews made possible with funding from the NZ Lotteries Grants Board