On the Mat - 17 March 1981 Television (Full Length Episode) – 1981 Sport

On the Mat - 17 March 1981

Television (Full Length Episode) – 1981 Sport

Lol ... Samoa Joes daughter ... your dad was funny as f***. My fav was when his manager, or the ring announcer would say "and now samoan joe would like to speak to the audience in his native tongue..." then joe would spout off about stuff in better english than most of the audience .... cracks me up just thinking about it.

mat rad

mat rad 8 Aug 2017 - 05.44pm

Wow Don Mason what a revelation! Next you'll tell me Shortland Street isn't actually a documentary! Or that Thingy was just a puppet! Say it ain't so.

Bishop

Bishop 9 Apr 2015 - 09.05am

I remember watching this stuff when I was a kid. Really silly but a lot of fun!

Owen Baxter

Owen Baxter 6 Apr 2015 - 10.39pm

Rest In Peace Steve Rickard.Your efforts for New Zealand will always be remembered.

Neil Leathers

Neil Leathers 6 Apr 2015 - 07.34pm

RIP Steve Rickard thanks for the years of great wrestling you bought to New Zealand

D Pemberton

D Pemberton 6 Apr 2015 - 07.29pm

Why does everyone ignore the elephant in the room? This was fake. Audiences were treated like idiots. The whole concept is nonsense ... What absolute rubbish.

Don Mason

Don Mason 6 Apr 2015 - 06.39pm

Another good episode of On the Mat. Did they mention Bret Hart as in The Hitman? Mark Lewin was great. Samoan Joe was good.

Peter Messano

Peter Messano 24 Apr 2014 - 12.06am

Am saddened there's not more episode left in the archives, my godfather, with whom I've recently reunited was known as " Tarzan Tyler" and later as "dr death", was hoping to see him in action. Unfortunately I can't even locate a photograph. Any photos or footage would be greatly appreciated. I expect it's a long shot, but any info please email me at momonique_simpson@yahoo.co.nz

Monique

Monique 20 Jul 2013 - 10.36pm

Lol at your comment Wayne Righton... You are spot on, Yes it's always only been about Steve Rickard!!

Child of Wrestler

Child of Wrestler 26 Jun 2012 - 02.22am

Ronald Love, TVNZ have only a few full episodes left, they taped over them all many years ago, according to the last email I sent them about it.

Hamish Towgood

Hamish Towgood 14 Jan 2012 - 02.14pm

This is great, it would be awesome if TVNZ would re-run On The Mat!!! My step father (Jim Gray) worked for many years at the Hutt Park Hotel and is almost like a fourth son to Steve. Great wrestler and promoter!!!

Ronald Love

Ronald Love 13 Jan 2012 - 07.50am

We used to shoot OTM in the Civic Teletheatre during the late 1970's. I used to do sound, the wrestlers were great but the audience used to scare me.

DeriHadler

DeriHadler 27 Oct 2011 - 04.32pm

How about footage of other top wrestlers like Bruno Bekkar,Cowboy Billy Wright,Mo Sakata ,Ricky Wallace ?Or is it just about Steve Rickard.

Wayne Righton

Wayne Righton 14 Aug 2011 - 09.50pm

I am so overwhelmed that i have found my father's (Samoanjoe) video clip, at least one that i could show to the people at my dads 65th birthday next year! thankyou so much nzonscreen for posting the video up and also to the User on youtube, that advised me to search for it on here, please do leave it on here. One <3

SamoanJoes Daughter.

SamoanJoes Daughter. 12 Aug 2011 - 12.30pm

Great stuff! Good fun seeing these old shows i loved with the smaller studio audience, some of it pretty cheesy obviously but still more real wrestling skill than than WWE stuff we get nowadays. It would be great to see a compilation box set of a variety of wrestlers in action, minus those tedious intro/outro segments. Anyone from TVNZ out there listening? : )

murray mccallum