Ginette McDonald has directed cop shows, produced kidult classics and won awards for her dramatic acting. Yet she has long been associated with a single role: Kiwi gal Lynn of Tawa. In this interview, she talks Lynn and more, including:
- Playing a French maid at Wellington's Downstage Theatre at age 14 — and how Lynn of Tawa made her first appearance soon after "to provide a social service"
- Helping John Clarke get his first movie role while they were both living in London — and pinching champagne and smoked salmon from Clarke's job as a deliveryman
- How Lynn of Tawa was at first deemed too common to perform at the Royal Variety Performance — and having the special feeling that she was "surfing the audience" that night
- How the character of Lynn "has paved the way for me to be a more authentic version of myself"
- Being told to lose roughly 15 kilograms to star in comedy series All Things Being Equal — and how her co-star Bruno Lawrence took LSD before the show
- The creativity and stress of producing part comic, part musical TV series Peppermint Twist
This interview was recorded for 2019 TV series
Funny As: The Story of New Zealand Comedy.
All audiovisual content is copyright to Augusto, and may not be reproduced. Publication of
extended interviews made possible with funding from the NZ Lotteries Grants Board.