Jude Dobson became famous in New Zealand as co-host of nightly game show Sale of the Century. She went on to present a range of lifestyle series on TVNZ including Open Home, Alive and Kicking, and NZ Living. In 1997 she began hosting five nights a week magazine show 5:30 with Jude. Since then she has set up her own production company and produces media content about parenting.
In this ScreenTalk, Dobson talks about:
- How Sale of the Century beat out the news in the ratings
- Dealing with negative mail from the public
- Her thoughts looking back on the show
- Moving into working on lifestyle shows on TVNZ
- Working with future mayor Dave Cull on Open Home
- Her initial reluctance to take on hosting 5:30 with Jude
- How a lampshade upset a viewer
- Becoming a panelist on agony aunt show How's Life?
- Having to find funding for her parenting show Nought to Five
- The reason she set up Raising Children
- Enjoying doing the Family Health Diary infomercials
This video was first uploaded on 18 July 2016, and is available on YouTube to embed and distribute via this Creative Commons licence.
Interview, Camera and Editing – Andrew Whiteside