Ngāti Film (Excerpts) – 1987 Drama Māori

Ngāti

Film (Excerpts) – 1987 Drama Māori

PG Parental Guidance

I was advised to watch this film years ago by a friend who was acting in it. The opening music has haunted me for years, beautiful. So pleased to read it is available on DVD. Many thanks to those previous writers for reawakening the well deserved interest in a great NZ film.

Alison Leslie

Alison Leslie 1 Oct 2016 - 11.33pm

I am wanting to know the title of the song tracks on this dvd ? please could anybody advise ?

katrina

katrina 24 Dec 2013 - 10.37pm

Kia ora Hinga. Yes, Screenline has rebranded - I've updated the buy tab and here's the link to Ngati's page FYI: http://productsnewzealand.co.nz/shop/ngati-1987/

Paul Ward

Paul Ward (NZ On Screen team) 30 May 2013 - 05.14pm

Hi I have not checked if the link below is the same as I have here to purchase a copy of the DVD ENJOY
Recommended NZ Reseller - Products New Zealand - previously known as Screenline

Hinga Pewhairangi

Hinga Pewhairangi 30 May 2013 - 12.07pm

Aw my bff michael tibble is in this

Megan

Megan 18 Feb 2013 - 10.39pm

Hello Ruki
As per the 'Buy it' tab, you can purchase this from Screenline: http://www.screenline.co.nz/catalogue/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_30&products_id=40
Thanks!

5 Oct 2012 - 10.29am

How does one purchase a copy of this film?

Ruki Tobin

Ruki Tobin 5 Oct 2012 - 01.11am

RE: Lorayne King - In case you have not yet found it, you can download a 3+ minute mp3 clip of Paikea and Haere Mai by Dalvanius at:

Charles Eggen

Charles Eggen 6 Jun 2012 - 03.22pm

i had a blased seein bhind da scenses o da movie my dad was 1 o da crew (KINGI KARAITIANA) i gt 2 meet all da crew n actors 4 a teen it opened my eyes n now love watchin makin o movies NGATI was so good n fun 2 b around so 2 da ppl i meet duein da makin o da film so honourd 2 b part o it n im n da woolshed scene n my kids njoyed knowin dea dad took part n a movie....mean 2 no u all

lanky lester

lanky lester 15 Mar 2012 - 12.28pm

I thought this film was cinematic and quietly powerful in comparison to many other efforts by NZ filmakers - which can be like Television drama. It was good to see authentic aspects of indigenous culture and aspects of its community on show here, along with a powerful and moving story. Although some of the acting was a bit wooden, this film was on a really interesting path and shows what can be made from real life stories here.

Gerard

Gerard 8 Aug 2011 - 07.43pm

my grand uncles is in this movie.:D i watched it and loved it

Makareta Tatare

Makareta Tatare 18 Apr 2011 - 01.12am

I was a young (form one) high school student when this film came out and we made a special trip for a screening in Taupo (I lived Turangi). A school friend used to sing the song 'Haere Mai' when ever something special happened like, the Prime Minister coming to visit or our Maori studies teacher retiring. Loved this film and that song.

Melissa Taukiri

Melissa Taukiri 4 Apr 2011 - 10.10pm

So is there a soundtrack available for this lovely film? My family & I so enjoyed watching it on the Maori channel last night. The music brought tears to my eyes as memories came flooding back, of a time long gone. If anyone can help us score the music, we would be so thankful.

Lorayne King

Lorayne King 3 Apr 2011 - 08.26am

Kia Ora Nathan, Ngati was an awesome film.. am looking forward to seeing more of the same that produced this great work, including you.

Venus Yerkovich

Venus Yerkovich 6 Mar 2011 - 10.32pm

Kia ora, My name is Nathan Spooner and i had the privilege & honor to work along side so many wonderful people in the making of this feature film" NGATI". I was part of the trainee's that was put together in Hawkes Bay Community College where we started our intial training.
I myself went onto be trained as a 'clapper loader', the experience was
amazing and will stay with for ever.

Nathan Spooner

Nathan Spooner 5 Mar 2011 - 05.25pm

At last you can now get Ngati on DVD. I saw it at the Warehouse in Milford but you can also get it through Amazon. A wonderful film.
Still do not know if Greg is related to Sally as a subtext in plot, though.
Cynthia

Cynthia Thomas

Cynthia Thomas 11 Sep 2010 - 08.42am

Kia ora, @Aprile, for a DVD you could try Screenline (see the 'buy it' tab above) or Aro video: http://www.arovideo.co.nz/film.php?FilmID=2234

Paul Ward

Paul Ward (NZ On Screen team) 16 Jun 2010 - 02.59pm

I left NZ in 1980 and have been living in Sydney ever since, I saw this powerful, heartwarming and interesting movie when it came to Sydney, and I have never forgotten its impact on me. If only it was available on DVD!

Aprile Alexander

Aprile Alexander 15 Jun 2010 - 10.05pm

Awesome film thanks to everyone involved.

Ora Nepe

Ora Nepe 8 Jun 2010 - 10.31pm

My vid just wore out ! I agree that it should be re-issued on dvd.
I too have looked everywhere. I also looked for 'Lost in Translation' on dvd. Patu, Utu, and many more.

Whoever has control or ownership of such films should get their act together. Perhaps NZ Film Commision should do a bit of mahi on this subject and earn back the investment the hardworking taxpayers have put into these films and reproduce them.

I love Cynthia Thomas' comment re 'no way'. I missed that one.
Good comment. And as for the other questions Cynthia poses, how can she ever know if she can not see the whole film.

Its a great shame on NZ film industry that she cannot.

Venus Yerkovich

Venus Yerkovich 3 Jun 2010 - 07.36pm

This movie has stuck with me over the years. And so has the soundtrack. I owned the tape at one stage but someone swiped it!
This film is one of the best ever made in New Zealand. It deserves to be rescreened as a new print, colour corrected, sound enhanced. And why isn't it available on DVD? I've looked everywhere for it and a CD of the soundtrack. NOTHING! If it's out there, it's keeping a low profile. Ngati is an important film and it's just a damn good film! It deserves a wide audience, now before it's lost to memory.

REx Harrison

REx Harrison 31 May 2010 - 01.30am

What a wonderful film. When the doctor's wife, Sam, speaks about her daughter Jenny's recovery from illness, I get the feeling that there is subtext, like Gregg Shaw may actually be her half brother. Am I right in this?
The period flavour was wonderful, the cars, the frocks and the schoolhouse with the copperplate alphabet running along the top of the blackboard I remember from 1959 in Std. 2 in Stanley Bay School. Only hiccup was Sally saying ''No way'', as no way would they have had this term in 1947.
Thank you for the video clip.
Just would like to know if I am reading too much into the story.

Cynthia Thomas

Cynthia Thomas 9 Apr 2010 - 01.15pm

This is the film that made me fall in love with anything Kiwi made.
This film and Patu - a very close second. And it was the music, Haere Mai, that got me as well. I am 60 now and I cant get enough. This film is the best in my view, in that it showed us as we are, for the first time that I can remember, no bull, just us as we are and from then my radar was on to anything Kiwi. And that includes music as well.

Venus Yerkovich