With over 30 years experience in the television industry, Michael Stedman did just about everything behind the cameras. He began as an editor and moved on to directing and producing for TVNZ. While there he produced shows such as Beauty and the Beast, University Challenge and numerous sport and news programmes. He held senior positions at television networks in New Zealand and Australia, and is currently the Managing Director at Natural History New Zealand.
Michael Stedman died on 30 July 2022. In this 2011 ScreenTalk interview, Stedman talked about:
- Becoming an editor at TVNZ, despite having his sights set on producing
- Producing iconic advice show Beauty and the Beast
- Being saddened at the cancellation of kids nature show Wildtrack
- Alerting the country to the plight of our endangered species in Wild South
- Working with the quirky David Bellamy in Moa’s Ark
- How Fox Television transformed Natural History New Zealand
was first uploaded on 7 June 2011, and
is available under
this Creative Commons licence.
This licence is limited to use of ScreenTalk interview footage only and does not apply to any video content and
photographs from films, television, music videos, web series and commercials used in the interview.
Credits: Interview, Camera & Editing – Andrew Whiteside